Gluten free raw vegan snacks


What inspired you to start the Greenwood kitchen?

My inspiration for The Greenwood Kitchen stemmed from my inability to find tasty gluten free vegan snacks and baked goods. I have celiac disease and when I was diagnosed I was appalled at some of the gluten free foods that were on the shelves! So, I created my own! Friends and family were my tasters and many offered their encouragement in this endeavor.

How did you come up with the name?

The Greenwood Kitchen's name was all my husband. When we began the business we had a list of about 40 names. None of which we thought fit right. One morning he woke up, said 'The Greenwood Kitchen' and the rest is history. Now the meaning has significance, as well as our business symbol. The sprout represents roots and growth, and Greenwood is the street we live on, so we'll always remember where we came from.

What got you interested in raw foods?

Ah, raw foods. My wheat allergy caused me to really become aware of everything I ate and how it affected my whole body health. I picked up a few books, became very interested and began experimenting. Since that time, about two to two and a half years ago, my husband and I have been vegetarians, enjoying a good majority of raw foods.

Do you have a personal recipe you would like to share with our readers?

Im a BIG fan of green smoothies. BIG fan. My favorite all time smoothie is fresh spinach, frozen mango and coconut water. So simple and extremely rewarding after a long morning jog.

Where can people purchase your products online and local?

All of our store locations and market dates and times are listed on our website at www.thegreenwoodkitchen.com. There are just so many different markets that we're attending within and around the city, that I would suggest people to check this out on our website.

What would be your best advice to someone new to the world of raw foods?

If you're new to raw foods...the key is to eat your fruits and veggies. Up your greens. So many people new to raw foods head for the heavy nut based dishes, which have there place. However, for me, I was always a fruit and veggie eater, and if you're not, but are interested in eating a healthier diet, or adding more raw foods to your diet, I would suggest browsing the internet for fun recipes, which include whole foods. Smoothies are a great way of getting your greens, salads are another. Do not be turned off by a salad....don't think standard tomato/cucumber bland - blah. There are many wonderful books out there with amazing salad recipes!

What is your favorite raw recipe book?

My favorties....always are changing. Right now, Matthew Kenney's Everyday Raw, which has an amazing spicy almond dressing which goes great on a seaweed salad. My other favorite right now is Cafe Gratitude's I Am Grateful. AMAZING book. Some wonderful veggie filled pizza crust's and check out the juice section to change up your morning routine.

How can people contact you?

The absolute best way to contact me is through email at jaynel.hollis@gmail.com. If you don't hear back from me, you're more than welcome to call me. My website has all of my contact information, so again, I suggest you check that out to read more about the products we offer and our locations in and around the city.

Any last words you would like to add?

We have begun a gluten free and vegan baked line, after much demand. We will be sure to update our website within the next few weeks with photos and information on special orders, such as birthday and holiday cakes, cupcakes, breads, muffins, scones, etc.

For more info: The Greenwood Kitchen Philadelphia, P.a. Visit their blog here or email: jaynel.hollis@gmail.com
blog comments powered by Disqus